Edward Jones – Financial Advisors and The Jones Financial Companies
Edward Jones – Financial Advisors was founded in 1922 in St. Louis, Missouri, by Edward D. Jones. (He is not to be confused with anther Edward D. Jones, who was the co-founder of the Dow Jones.) However, it was Edward’s son, Edward D. “Ted” Jones who was responsible for the creation of the financial services company as we know it today.
Today, Edward Jones is a Fortune 500 financial services company whose headquarters are in Des Peres City, Missouri which serves its clients through 12,000 branches spread across the US and Canada. The firm now caters to more than 7 million clients and has greater than $1 trillion worth of assets under management across the globe, making it one of the biggest financial services companies in the US.
Edward Jones only caters to small business owners and individual investors. The firm is a subsidiary of The Jones Financial Companies, LLLP, which is a limited liability partnership owned only be the employees and retired employees. It is not a publically traded company.
The company’s focus areas are
- Retirement planning
- College Savings
- Insurance Needs
- Estate Planning
Edward Jones and all its employees are registered on Broker Check, a free tool sponsored by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority. This tool helps people do a background check on financial advisors, financial brokers or financial investment firms. The tool also tells you if there have been any disclosures about that particular firm/financial advisor. Disclosures are customer arbitrations, complaints, job terminations, filings for bankruptcy and/or any criminal proceedings they may have been associated with.
Edward Jones comes very highly recommended. Here are a list of achievements by this 95-year-old firm:
- J D Power Awards
- JD Power US Full Service Investor Satisfaction Study: Ranked highest 6 times in the last 10 years
- JD Power US Financial Advisor Satisfaction Study: Ranked highest 7 consecutive times
- JD Power Full Service Investor Satisfaction Study Canada: Ranked Highest 5 years consecutively (2012 – 2017)
- 2016 JD Power President’s Award – only 11 other companies have been given this prestigious award in JD Power’s 40 year history
- Fortune Magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work: Edward Jones was ranked number 5 in the 2017 list as one of the best companies in the world in which to work. And this is not the first time that the company has appeared on the Fortune 100 Best Companies list. This is, in fact, the firm’s 18th appearance on the list. The firm has been in the top 10 for the last 14 years, top 5 for 7 years and number one twice in 2002 and 2003.
- Time Inc.’s People and Great Place to Work placed Edward Jones at number 19 on the top “50 Companies that Care” list.
- Fortune Best Workplaces in Financial Services and Insurance placed at number 4 on the list. The firm also ranked highest of the 40 companies in the full-financial services firm category.
If you are interested in using an Edward Jones financial adviser, you can click here.