What is Donald Trump Net Worth in 2018?
Before becoming the 45th president of the United States, Donald Trump started a career as a businessman. He became successful and managed to own a number of properties and/or assets. As of this year 2018, Donald Trump net worth sits at $3.1 billion. He first ventured in his father’s real estate company called Elizabeth Trump and Son, which is now known as The Trump Organization. Although his net worth has fluctuated over the years, he is still among the richest person in the world. Here is everything you need to know about Trump, his business and net worth, and his role as the leader of the free world.
Donald Trump Net Worth
Unfortunately for the POTUS, his net worth has once again taken another substantial hit over the past year. Since he took office, it has significantly dropped around $400 million. The 71-year-old president is, according to history, the first billionaire to take a seat in the Oval Office after being inaugurated in January 2017. After his net worth dropped, he also fell 200 spots from being the 544th richest man in 2017 to 766th in 2018. This can be seen on Forbe’s Billionaire’s List. The fall reportedly came after Donald Trump’s net worth emerged $3.5 billion, which is a billion less compared to his fortune on the 2016 list.
During his campaign in the 2016 election, Trump revealed that he had a net worth of $10 billion. However, this claim of his was quickly debunked following reports that reflected his true net worth. It turns out that it was closer to $3 billion or $4 billion. Donald Trump net worth decline can be attributed throughout 2017, thanks to the struggling real estate market and his polarizing brand. In fact, the Trump Tower’s value within last year has dramatically declined to $41 million. This is surprising considering that the building is in the center of Manhattan’s most expensive retail real estate. More importantly, it is deemed as the 5th Avenue-based former home of the president and his family.
Trump’s Polarizing Image
The POTUS’ hotel brand and other management gigs have all suffered due to his polarizing image. Other assets of his include golf properties and a number of hotels, all of which have also seen the devastating result of Trump’s uncanny personality. This is also due to fact that these properties have become sites for protests. Even the licensing losses have resulted in a sudden drop of $50 million. Interestingly, Trump’s golf properties saw a 5 percent increase in revenue, as they are all situated in locations where he won the 2016 election. As for places where he lost the race – in California, for example – they gave him a 4 percent fall in revenue. As a president, Trump receives a yearly salary of $400,000 ($100,000 quarterly). But at the beginning of his presidency, he pledged to donate his entire salary each quarter. So far, he has remained faithful to his promise. Recipients of his donations include, but not limited to, the Department of Interior, the Department of Education, and the Department of Health and Human Services.
Forbes’ Billionaires List this year saw Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon, as the richest person in the world. He also became the first individual to break the $100 billion mark in the list’s history. This is believed to be due to Amazon’s dominance in the marketplace as well as key purchases such as the Whole Foods last year. Below are some interesting facts about Trump’s definitive net worth:
- Trump became the president of his father’s company in 1971. He eventually changed its name to The Trump Organization.
- Sometime in 2003, Trump not only became the executive producer but he also hosted The Apprentice, the titular NBC reality show.
- He has over 10 real estates in New York City, including the 40 Wall Street, Trump Tower, and the Trump Park Avenue, to name a few. As of February 2018, his properties here amassed a net worth of $1.5 billion.
- His non-New York City real estate, on the other hand, is around $500 million. It includes the Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, Trump International Hotel Las Vegas, and the Stark Industrial Park Warehouse in Charleston, S.C.
- Donald Trump net worth also covers a couple of golf courses and clubs, all of which make up the $560 million part.
- As for his brand business, it falls around $180 million, while his personal assets and cash make up $290 million of his net worth.
- Trump’s most famous quote: “Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.”
Here is another interesting set of Donald Trump facts that might surprise you:
- He has his own star in the Hollywood Walk of Fame, thanks to his reality TV show The Apprentice.
- Apparently, Trump’s hair is real and he even gets haircuts from his wife Melania.
- Between 2001 and 2009, he was known and registered as a Democrat.
- Believe it or not, Trump once tried trademarking the phrase, “You’re fired.”
- He once tried to sue an author for $5 billion because he was called a millionaire, not a billionaire.
- Trump revealed that he is a self-professed germophobe and thus dislikes shaking hands with other people.
- If you are wondering why the character Biff Tannen (Back to the Future trilogy) and Trump are similar, that is because the former was based on the latter.
- The companies he owned all filed for bankruptcy before, and they all did these at least 4 times.
- While working as a president of the United States, he sought the help of his two sons, Don Jr. and Eric. The two are now responsible for running the family business while he is in the office.
- He actually played a cameo role in the popular film Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.
- A building of a wind farm located in Scotland was almost never built after Trump tried to stop it. He believed that it would eventually ruin the view of his golf resort.