Social Security Disability Forms
Applying for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits requires you to fill up multiple types of forms. Here is the list of Social Security Disability Forms you will need to fill in order to complete your application:
SSA-16-BK: This is the main form for a Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) application. It has 33 questions. Most of the questions are basic information about you and your family – name, age, date of birth, address, etc. There are, however, 2 questions that are very important, and you should be very particular while answering those two. They are:
- Question 10: the date on which your disability started. This is called the “alleged onset date”. Answer this question carefully as this is the date that will be used to disburse your benefits back-pay. In the case of a sudden disability such an accident, it is easy. However, in the case of a slow moving disease, make sure you do your research thoroughly to get as specific a date as possible.
- Question 24: This question asks you to give a description about your illness/disability which impairs your ability to work. Do not include just your diagnosis, but also your “functional limitations” (what can you no longer do due to your illness/disability) as well as your “residual functional capacity” (what is it that you can do).
SSA-8000-BK: This is the main form Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and has 65 questions. The SSA office will use the details in this form to decide your eligibility for SSI, so please make sure you fill in the information correctly, especially with regard to your financial situation.
SSA-3368-BK: The Disability Report for Adults is critical for your application, so please be accurate.
SSA-3369-BK: Your Employment/Work History Report
SSA-827-BK: This form is an authorization, allowing the SSA to access information about you
Points to Note when filling out Social Security Disability Forms
- The Social Security Administration link https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ provides all the forms for you to use. You can use them for online applications or download and print them for hard copies.
- Please ensure that you use the most updated forms for your application. You need to check the date of revision at the bottom left corner of the form. Please contact your Social Security Administration office if you’re not sure.
- Please ensure you use only pens with blue or black ink while filling in the forms by hand or printing them.
- Please ensure your hand-writing is clear and legible.
- Online application filing is only available for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits and not for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- In some states, you are required to go to the SSA office, where your answers to the application forms will be recorded by an officer.
You can call 800-772-1213 to ask for help in filling out your application form. You can also hire a non-lawyer disability representative to help you. Lawyers will not take your case until your application has been declined and you want to appeal.
Click here for further reading on Social Security disability rules